This Fried Cauliflower with Black Peppercorn Sauce Recipe taste very similar to the Panda Express Black Pepper Chicken, just minus the meat. This is a vegan version and it does feature a crispy fried cauliflower because, I loathe soggy cauliflower. If you share the same dismay for soggy cauliflower, please keep reading.
First, I have to let you know that my Husband Harvey totally gets most of the credit with this recipe because if it weren’t for his immense love for Asian food, I wouldn’t have fell in love with it the way that I did. Also, he took the time to test this recipe several times for me (hello, I’m currently making a baby and can only stand for so long lol), to make sure that you get the appropriate crispiness to hold onto the Black Peppercorn Sauce. He tried with multiple flours and different batters until we agreed on the right recipe to prevent soggy cauliflower. (Because remember, soggy = no bueno)
Black Peppercorn Garlic Sauce
This Black Peppercorn Garlic Sauce is more savory than sweet. However, the sweetness, is just the right amount so it doesn’t outshine the peppercorn or garlic. Now, if you want it to be sweeter, please feel free to add more sweet soy sauce.
Can you use Black Peppercorn Garlic Sauce in other dishes?
Yes, you can absolutely use this Black Peppercorn Garlic Sauce as you please. I enjoy this sauce with the following ingredients, and I swear that it never gets old:
- Stir Fry
1.5 cup vegetable stock or vegan chicken stock
1.5 tsp black peppercorns, ground slightly
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp chopped ginger
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbs oyster flavored sauce
3 tbs sweet soy sauce
2 tbs vegan butter
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp corn starch, mixed with 1 tbs warm water
1. In medium saucepan, melt vegan butter and sauté onions over medium/low heat for about 5 min. Then add garlic and continue to sauté for 3 min.
2. Add remaining ingredients bring to slight boil and reduce heat to low. Cool sauce on low for 10-12 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
When it comes to Fried Cauliflower, I swear there is an art to it. You want batter, but not too much that its overbearing. You want the cauliflower crispy, but you want to make sure that it doesn’t get soggy.
Tips for the perfect Crispy Fried Cauliflower
- Make sure that your cauliflower is nice and dry before you began to batter it up.
- Use medium to small size pieces of cauliflower.
- Make sure your cooking oil is nice and hot before adding your cauliflower.
1 head cauliflower, cut into small to medium florets
“No-Egg” Wash: 1 cup coconut milk (from can, full fat), 1.5 tbs tumetic, 1/4 cup vegetable stock or vegan chicken stock, whisked together
1 cup flour
1.5 half tbs corn starch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
2 tbs chopped green onion, for garnish
1. Toss cauliflower florets in No-Egg Wash and let soak. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper.
3. In 3-4 batches, remove cauliflower from wash, toss in flour mixture, pack onto florets, deep fry battered florets for 7-9 minutes or until golden and crispy.
4. Toss fried cauliflower in black peppercorn-garlic sauce
5. Garnish with chopped green onions
If you enjoy making this easy dish, Fried Cauliflower with Black Peppercorn Garlic Sauce, then you may also enjoy my Spicy Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice.