This fabulously easy BBQ Lentils over Cheese Grits comes together in just 30 minutes and can be enjoyed any time of the day! The buttery and creamy cheese grits pair perfectly with the smokey and sweet flavor of the BBQ lentils.
Looking for a quick recipe to make with your lentils? Well, look no further because my BBQ Lentils over Cheese Grits is the perfect pantry staple meal that you can have in just under 30 minutes! It doesn’t matter if you’re plant-based or a meat-eater, this fulling and versatile recipe is sure to satisfy your palette.
Lentils have been my go-to comfort food for the past year. This underrated ingredient is so versatile and fulfilling, that its a staple in many households. I enjoy eating BBQ Lentils when I want something smokey and sweet. Pair with dairy-free cheesy grits, and you are good to go.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
This BBQ Lentils over Cheese grits recipe uses mostly pantry staple ingredients. For the BBQ lentils, you’ll need raw lentils, vegetable broth, diced carrots, white onion, BBQ sauce, avocado oil, and seasonings.
The cheese grits is made with only 5 ingredients – milk, butter, cheddar cheese, and parmesan. I used dairy-free milk, and vegan cheese, but you can swap those with whatever you have on hand.
How to make BBQ Lentils over Cheese Grits?
- To make the BBQ lentils in a large pot add the washed and rinsed lentils along with the vegetable broth and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil then simmer uncovered for around 30-35 minutes or until the lentils are tender and cooked all the way through.
- Add the avocado oil to a skillet and preheat the skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and carrot to the skillet, then sprinkle the salt, pepper, and smoked paprika on top. Saute everything until the onions are translucent and the carrots are soft. Next, add the BBQ sauce to the skillet and mix to combine.
- Drain the cooked lentils and reserve the cooking water. Add the lentils to the BBQ sauce and mix well until everything is incorporated. If you find that the sauce is too thick, add some of the reserved water to thin it out.
- Finally, to make the grits mix all grits ingredients until cheese and butter has melted.
- On a plate add the cheese grits then top with a generous amount of the BBQ lentils. Serve warm on the side with steamed broccoli, refreshing salad, or crispy toasted bread.
A few FAQs
For this particular dish I love to use Gluten-Free Corn Grits from Bob’s Red Mill. They’re perfect in southern style dishes, and taste absolutely delicious if you cook them with broth and mix with cheese. Since this is a plant based recipe, I used plant based cheddar, parmesan and butter.
The good thing about the BBQ lentils in this recipe is that you don’t necessarily have to eat them over grits. You can use them as a meat substitute, add them to soups, burgers, etc. Here are some other ways that you can enjoy them.
BBQ Lentil Sandwich
You can put them over a baked sweet potato
Enjoy your BBQ Lentils by their lonesome
Besides this BBQ Lentils, another favorite recipe is this Easy Lentil Meatballs which uses lentils as a substitute for the meat.
You’ll also love to try:
Have you tried this recipe?
If you have tried this recipe, please take a moment to rate it 5 stars below. Also, please leave a comment to let me know your thoughts on this recipe. You can also stay in touch with me on Instagram (that’s where I hang out the most). Tag me @RosalynnDaniels or #RosalynnDaniels if you post a photo of your dish, and I will share with my audience through Instastories.Print
2c Raw Lentils
6c Vegetable Broth
1 Bay Leaf
1c Diced Carrots
1 White Onion (diced)
1 1/2c Barbecue Sauce
1/2tbs Avocado Oil
1/4tsp Smoked Paprika
3 1/2c Cooked Grits
1/4c Dairy- Free Milk of choice
2tbs Vegan Butter
1c Vegan Cheddar (shredded)
1/2c Vegan Parmesan
In a large pot, bring lentils, vegetable broth, and bay leaf to a boil.
Let simmer uncovered for about 30-35 minutes or until lentils are tender.
While your lentils are cooking start working on your sauce.
In a large skillet, heat 1/2tbs avocado oil over medium heat.
Sauté your onion and carrots with salt, pepper, smoked paprika until carrots are soft and onions are translucent.
Add barbecue sauce and give it a good stir.
Drain lentils and reserve the cooking water.
Pour sauce over your lentils and mix well. If you find that your sauce is too thick, just add a little bit of your cooking water to thin it out.
To make your grits, mix all Grits ingredients until cheese and butter has completed melted.
Serve your lentils over grits.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Plant Based
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Dinner
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 422
- Sugar: 9.6g
- Sodium: 1160.9mg
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 58.3g
- Fiber: 10.7g
- Protein: 20.9g
- Cholesterol: 0
This year I am participating in the 2021 Black History Virtual Potluck. A collaborative menu of recipes contributed by 40+black bloggers from around the globe in honor of Black History Month. This recipe was my contribution this year to the potluck. See a sampling of some of the other delicious participant recipes at the end of this page..