Stop what you’re doing and look no further. You have officially made it to a recipe that gives you one of the best ways to eat your asparagus, Cheesy Asparagus au Gratin. The bubbly cheese from this casserole-like dish will steal your heart away when you pull it out of the oven.
This cheesy Asparagus Au Gratin is super easy to put together, it looks elegant and it will become one of your go-to spring meals! The asparagus and shallots are drizzled with a creamy mix of Greek cheese and vegetable stock, then topped with a generous amount of shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top – sheer comfort-food heaven!
Once you see how easy it is to make this Cheesy Asparagus au Gratin, then you’ll find yourself making it all the time. I’m warning you now, that you may eat the whole thing by yourself (I may or may not be telling you this from experience) because it’s seriously that good.
What ingredients do you need to make Cheesy Asparagus au Gratin?
When choosing asparagus, it’s always important to choose firm stalks with tight buds on the tip. If you are not using the asparagus right away, you can add the asparagus in a glass filled with about an inch of water, and store it in the refrigerator – this would make the asparagus last longer.
If you don’t have shallots, you can use red onions. Although they have slightly different flavors, the red onion can be used as a substitute, and this casserole would still be as delicious!
Depending on the brand, some cream cheeses might be softer and others harder to mix. If the cream cheese is fairly soft, you can add it to the vegetable broth right away. If not, it’s always a good idea to slightly warm the sauce on the stove.
You can use any vegetable broth that you like here.
Parmesan and mozzarella
Parmesan and mozzarella are great melting cheeses and give that gorgeous golden brown color when baked. While I recommend using them both together, to have the best of both worlds creamy mozzarella and nutty parmesan, you can still make this recipe if you have only one of these cheeses.
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder are used as seasonings. I like to use regular sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, but you can use whatever you have on hand at the moment.
How do you make Cheesy Asparagus au Gratin?
Ok now, this is a super easy dish to make and it takes no time to make, so pay attention because this is going to go pretty fast.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the ends off of your asparagus. You just want to cut off 2-3 inches of the tough part of the stalk. Also take this time to slice your shallots. If you don’t have shallots, you can use red onion. It’s not exactly the same, but it will do the job.
- Place your asparagus in a 9×13 baking dish. I like to take 1lb and face the little tree tops on the outside of the dish, then do the same with the other pound. This will make it a bit prettier when baking is complete.
- Top with some of your seasonings, then add the shallots to the dish and cover with the remaining seasoning and sit to the side.
- Next you want to start working on your sauce. If your cream cheese is already room temperature and really soft, then you can just mix it with your vegetable broth until it is fairly smooth. If this doesn’t work then just add the cream cheese and vegetable broth to a pot and stir over medium heat until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the asparagus and shallots. Top with shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until asparagus is tender and the cheese is bubbly.
This cheesy asparagus au gratin goes perfectly on its own as a light dinner served alongside some sourdough bread and a refreshing salad. But it’s also best served with many different kinds of meat and fish. I love serving it with my Turkish Kafta Kabobs or this Panko Crusted Lamb.
You’ll also love to try:
Asparagus Puff Pastry Squares
One-Skillet Lemon Chicken Rice With Asparagus
Baked Chicken And Rice
Have you tried this recipe?
If you have tried this recipe, please take a moment to rate it 5 stars below. Also, please leave a comment to let me know your thoughts on this recipe. You can also stay in touch with me on Instagram (that’s where I hang out the most). Tag me @RosalynnDaniels or #RosalynnDaniels if you post a photo of your dish, and I will share with my audience through Instastories.Print
Cheesy Asparagus Au Gratin
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
Stop what you’re doing and look no further. You have officially made it to a recipe that gives you one of the best ways to eat your asparagus, Cheesy Asparagus au Gratin.
1tsp Black Pepper
1tsp Sea Salt
1tsp Garlic Powder
1c Mozzarella Cheese
1/2c Vegetable Broth
8oz Greek Cream Cheese
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
Cut the ends off of your asparagus.
Place in a baking dish with “tree-like” part of the stalk facing the outside of the dish.
Place shallots and seasoning on top of the asparagus.
In a sauce pan melt cream cheese and vegetable broth until completely melted and sauce is smooth.
Pour sauce over asparagus and shallots.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until asparagus is tender.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: au gratin, asparagus, casserole
Oh my cheesiness! Our asparagus is just starting to come up so I know what I’ll be making very soon!
Found your beautiful blog from Jess’s How Sweet Eats blog and will be bookmarking tons of your recipes – thank you!
Rosalynn Daniels says
Thank you so much! This stuff does not disappoint! And thank you so much for letting me know that Jess sent you this way. I just adore her!