If you want the authentic taste of Greek food, but you want to create it at home. Then you will truly appreciate my All Purpose Greek Marinade. The lemony herb concoction will have you thinking that your food came from a Greek restaurant. Especially if you choose to grill whatever you put in this marinade. It’s extremely easy to make and you most likely already have all of the ingredients. Trust me, this is the Greek Marinade that you’re looking for.
As someone who spent their early childhood growing up in Athens and New Makri, Greece, I find the flavor that this marinade provides, to be the most authentic. It tastes like home. And the best part is that you probably already have these ingredients in your home.
My Marinade Process
- I prep my meat and vegetables.
- I separate them into different freezer bags.
- Using a soup ladle, I add about 2-3 scoops of the marinade to each bag.
- Let it sit for a minimum of 1 hours before cooking.
- For the best flavor, I like to cook my items on the grill.
1c of extra virgin olive oil
1c of fresh squeezed lemon juice
1tbs dried oregano
1tbs fresh or dried thyme
In a large bowl mix all ingredients.
Taste to make sure you like the way it taste.
Pour marinade over whatever food you would like to eat.
Let stand for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- You can substitute fresh thyme for dried thyme.
- You can substitute fresh mint for dried oregano.
- Do not use imitation lemon juice. Trust me, it will not taste as good, if at all.
- You can add about 2 tbs of plain Greek yogurt, but I find adding it unnecessary. It strays away from the traditional marinade and it adds unnecessary dairy.
If you enjoyed this recipe, then you may also enjoy my one skillet Mediterranean Pasta recipe. Don’t forget to tag me @RosalynnDaniels if you decide to make this recipe. Also try signing up for my newsletter, for monthly recipe ideas.