You know that go to recipe that never disappoints? It’s always a crowd pleaser, which is a double win because it’s so quick and easy to make? Well this Mediterranean Pasta dish is one of those recipes for me. If you don’t have a “go-to” recipe in your back pocket, then you’re more than welcome to use this one.
The orgin of this recipe literally stems from me tossing my favorite flavors into a pan, then mixing it with pasta. Some of you may know that I spent a portion of my childhood in Greece. So, my refrigerator is always stocked with plenty of feta, tomatoes, cucumber, lemon, and kalamata olives (not black olives. There’s a huge difference.). They are staple ingredients that represent Greek mediterranean cuisine, and essentially my childhood.
This dish is super easy to make. You’re just throwing the ingredients into the pan, give it a stir, give it a toss, and you’re done. However, there are a few things that you want to keep in mind when preparing this dish.
- Try this dish with different proteins. I usually go with shrimp because it doesn’t take long to cook. However, I have also used chicken and I’ve opted out of a protein all together. Both were just as tasty.
- Follow the steps in order. I was sure to add each step according to how I make it. This has allowed me to get the most flavor and contribution from each ingredient. It will also help you avoid overcooking.
- Try different types of pasta. In this photo I used penne, but I also enjoy using a ton of other pastas.
- However, I would stay away from bowtie pasta. I find that they break easily, and I don’t like my pasta too al dente.
- If using white wine in lieu of pasta water, the alcohol cooks off after about a minute over heat. Your kids will not get tipsy if you decide to go with white wine.
- I usually serve this dish hot, because we eat it a lot for dinner. However, I make this dish for entertaining all the time and serves well at room temperature.
- For an extra tang, throw in about 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatoes.
If you enjoy this recipe, then you may also enjoy my Easy Chicken Rigatoni One Pot MealPrint
2tbs olive oil
4-6c cooked penne pasta
1/2c white wine or pasta water
1/2c kalamata olives
1/2c chopped onion
2tsp minced garlic
2c spinach leaves
1c cherry tomatoes
1/2 feta crumble
In a large skillet, add olive oil and butter.
Bring skillet to medium heat
Saute onions, cherry tomatoes, garlic, zucchini and kalamata olives
When your onions start to caramelize and your garlic starts to brown, pour in your white wine or pasta water
Give everything a good stir
Turn heat down to medium
Add shrimp to the skillet
Once shrimp turns pink, add spinach
Add salt, pepper, and oregano
Toss in cooked pasta and feta crumbles
Mix well and make sure that all ingredients are mixed well
Keywords: easy dinner, mediterranean, pasta