Friends, I introduce to you another simple and classic dish that you will love to enjoy in the mornings or on warm days. In this post, I am showing you how to make a simple Smoked Salmon Tartine, that boast lemon creme friache, capers, and pickled onion. I believe that I truly enjoy this tartine because it is basically the lighter version of a bagel and lox. It gives your a nice smoky saltiness that is irresistible.
Every summer when we visit Rosemary Beach, Florida, I always visit a local bakery every morning for breakfast. I always order their Salmon Tartine because it literally speaks my name every time. Recently, I found myself ordering a bunch of extras to basically turn their version into the one that I am showing you today. In addition, I like to add an egg fried hard, to place on top. You guys, its just so darn good and never disappoints. When we returned home from our last trip, I decided to finally make it at home. And I hate to say it, but mine taste so much better. I think it’s probably because I can control the ingredient portion and can put as much extras my heart desires. Of course I pack all them on heavy!
What is a Tartine?
A Tartine is essentially a slice of bread that can also be toasted. It usually has some type of spread on it, like butter, jam, or jelly. You can top them with whatever your heart desires.
What ingredients do you need to make Smoked Salmon Tartine?
- Sourdough or French Bread
- Creme Fraiche
- Smoked Salmon
- Pickled Onion
Pro Tip: When purchasing your smoked salmon, ask your local seafood department for smoked salmon trimmings. They tend to be thicker slices and they are less expensive than the smoked salmon packages.
When you start with a delicious bread to make your tartine, you are setting yourself up for greatness. When choosing my bread, I love to visit my favorite local bakery Theo’s, to grab a flavorful soughdough loaf. Lately, I’ve been obsessed with their lemon and rosemary loaves. Here are some things to keep in mind when selecting your bread for your tartine:
- Try a bread that is flavorful
- Make sure your bread is fresh and not stale
- Try to stick to sourdough or French
- Go with a bread that will allow you to cut larger slices. Remember that you want to be able to pack on our toppings.
How to make Smoked Salmon Tartine
- In a small bowl, mix creme fraiche and lemon zest.
- Slice your bread to your desired size.
- Toast each slice to your liking.
- Spread your desired amount of lemon creme fraiche onto each slice. I like to get a large dollop and pack it on, lol.
- I like to add capers on top of the creme fraiche, then put your sliced tomato on top of the capers.
- If you love capers like me, then add another layer of capers before adding a layer of smoked salmon.
Sourdough or French Bread
Zest of 1 Lemon
4oz Smoked Salmon
In a small bowl, mix creme fraiche and lemon zest.
Slice your bread to your desired size.
Toast each slice to your liking.
Spread your desired amount of lemon creme fraiche onto each slice.
Layer your remaining ingredients in the following order: capers, sliced tomatoes, smoked salmon, more capers, and pickled onions.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes