It has been exactly two years since I’ve thought about this recipe. It was the St. Patricks Day before last while eating corned beef and cabbage when the thought crossed my mind. I thought of a way to upgrade my favorite traditional dish to another level. Now, I love eating this in the form of a reuben sandwich as well, but instead of steamed cabbage, I opt for pickled cabbage, sauerkraut to be exact.
I’ve seen the hasselback style of cooking potatoes for years and always wanted to try it, so I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to make that happen. It’s such an easy method to jazz up your potatoes. Just make 1/4-1/2 inch slices down your baked potato and give it a butter bath before popping it into the oven. For this recipe, I decided to add fennel seeds to my butter bath, to add a bit of an aromatic spice and more flavor.
- 6 Large Baking Potatoes
- 12 Tbs of Butter
- 3 Tbs of Fennel
- 4 Cups of Shredded Corned Beef
- 4 Cups of Swiss Cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Make slices about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick on your potato, trying not cut the slices off. This is where the chopsticks come in handy.
- Rub melted butter and fennel on potatoes. Remember to get in between the slices.
- Bake for 45 mins.
- Take out of oven and add shredded corned beef on top and in between slices on potato.
- Top with shredded swiss cheese.
- Put back into oven for about 15 minutes, or until cheese starts to bubble.
- Top with a tangy slaw or with sauerkraut and thousand island dressing.