Summer is here and the weather is warmer than ever. With so many outdoor eating functions demanded by the season, I thought I’d share a refreshing and lighter dish with you. Opposed to the heavy meat centric dishes that we’re accustomed to having at most barbecues and cookouts. With the upcoming 4th of July holiday, this is the perfect salad for you to incorporate into your holiday menu. Healthy eating + Celebrations + Summer, what a combination!
Truth be told, I have a slight obsession with this salad. During watermelon season, it remains a staple in my daily diet. The sweet taste of watermelon combined with salty feta, spicy arugula, and fresh basil leaves is one that works every single time. Luckily, my toddler loves this dish as well. Watermelon has a high water content, which helps to keep her hydrated and full. It contains vitamin’s A and C, and is also a high producer of lycopene, a compound that has been linked to cardiovascular and bone cancer prevention. With so many benefits, I have the peace of mind that my kid is noshing on something delicious and healthy.
Overall, this recipe requires four main ingredients: watermelon, feta, arugula and basil. Some optional ingredients may include; agave, honey, lemon, mint, or cilantro. Play around with the different flavor combinations this Summer to see what best suits your taste. I’m sure that this will be your new go-to for sure!
- Watermelon (seedless)
- Feta Cheese (crumbles)
- Basil (fresh)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Wash two handfuls of the arugula leaves with plenty of water and tear with hands, or leave whole.
- Cut about a cup or two of watermelon into large chunks. Remember to remove the rhine.
- Place in a bowl, in the order of leaves, then watermelon
- Crumble a handful of feta over the the bowl.
- Sprinkle chopped basil on top.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and the juice of a lime wedge
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
Happy 4th of July!