I love how these Smoked Turkey Legs a.k.a. Smoked Turkey Drumsticks give you the same result as the Smoked Turkey Legs at Disney World. So no longer do you have to take a trip to score this coveted dish. Because you get smoky and salty flavors, these Smoked Turkey Legs are a great alternative for those who don’t eat pork, but would love to experience the taste of a brown sugar ham.
What ingredients do you need to cook Smoked Turkey Legs?
To make this simple Smoked Turkey Leg recipe, you just need a few simple ingredients that will essentially do all of the work for you.
- Turkey Legs
- Brown Sugar
- Kosher Salt
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder (Optional)
- Onion Powder (Optional)
How to make a simple Smoking Brine?
The great thing about my simple smoking brine is that it requires minimal ingredients but packs a punch.
- To make my simple Brown Sugar Brine you will just add your brown sugar and all of the seasoning listed to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Once everything has completely dissolved, you just stir in your ice and cool water.
- At this point your brine should be completely cooled, and you can begin to marinate your meats.
How do you cook Smoked Turkey Legs?
- First you want to start off with preparing a simple quick brine. (Check out my instructions above.)
- Pour the brine over your turkey and place it covered in a refrigerator for for 4-24 hours.
- Once your turkey has completed it’s brine bath, you need to completely rinse off each turkey leg and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat your smoker to 275 to 300 degrees.
- Place each turkey leg in your smoker and cook until for about 1.5 hours reaches at least 167 degrees.
- When your turkey reaches 167 degrees, they are done.
How long to cook Smoked Turkey Legs?
When it comes to smoking your Turkey Legs, the cooking time can vary from grill to grill. I use a Weber SmokeFire Pellet Grill, and it take me about 120 minutes to completely cook. Ultimately you want to check the internal temperature and make sure it registers too 165 degrees.
Have you tried this recipe?
If you have tried this recipe, please take a moment to rate it 5 stars below. Also, please leave a comment to let me know your thoughts on this recipe. You can also stay in touch with me on Instagram (that’s where I hang out the most). Tag me @RosalynnDaniels or #RosalynnDaniels if you post a photo of your dish, and I will share with my audience through Instastories.Print
4–8 Turkey Legs
1/2c Brown Sugar
1/2c Kosher Salt
1/4c Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
2tbs Smoked Paprika
1tbs Garlic Powder (Optional)
1tbs Onion Powder (Optional)
4c Cold Water
First you want to start off with preparing a simple quick brine.
Add brown sugar and seasoning to a large pot and bring to a boil.
Stir until everything has completely dissolved.
Once everything has completely dissolved, carefully stir in your ice and cool water to the pot.
At this point your brine should be completely cooled.
Place your raw meat in a large container of choice and pour your brine over your meat until it is fully submerged.
Let your turkey legs soak refrigerated in the brine for 4-24 hours.
Once your turkey has completed it’s brine bath, you need to completely rinse off each turkey leg and pat dry with a paper towel.
Preheat your smoker to 275 to 300 degrees.
Place each turkey leg in your smoker and cook until for about 1.5 hours reaches at least 167 degrees.
When your turkey reaches 167 degrees, they are done.
Timing may vary depending on you smoker.