When HLN asked me to create a variety of easy tailgating recipes for the #TUMSsweepstakes tailgating series, I knew immediately that I wanted to create an Acorn Squash recipe for people to enjoy. With so many people switching to a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle, and with the success of my Cous Cous stuffed Acorn Squash around Thanksgiving, I knew that I had to bring back the underrepresented vegetable for another round of yumminess.
Acorn squash are perfect for tailgating and for your Super Bowl party! They’re easy to prepare, fun to fill, and they make cleanup pretty much nonexistent. You know I love a quick clean up! With this dish all you’re going to do is roast the acorn squash and then fill it with your favorite ingredients. To make it bbq flavored, I’ve added a little sprinkle of my favorite bbq rub to the flesh of the squash before baking. Then I just filled it with black beans, corn, pulled bbq chicken and a drizzle of bbq sauce and siracha ranch. To make it vegetarian, just leave out the pulled chicken or replace with bbq seasoned vegan ground beef. Don’t overthink it, this recipe truly is that simple.
Tip- When I prepare dishes like this for a lot of people, I always do a buffet style. That way people can just make their acorn squash bowl the exact way that they like it.Print
- 2 Medium Acorn Squash
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Bbq Seasoning/Rub
- 2 Cups Black Beans
- 2 Cups Corn Kernels
- 2 Cups Pulled BBQ Chicken (optional)
- Acorn Squash
- Carefully slice two acorn squash in half
- Clean out seeds from the center of the squash
- Drizzle olive oil on top
- Sprinkle salt and Bbq seasoning/rub on top
- Cook in a 400 degree oven for 45-60 minutes
- Flesh of acorn squash should be tender
- Add desired amount of black beans, corn, and optional pulled bbq chicken to the inside of the squash.
- Drizzle with bbq sauce and siracha ranch