Of course I became obsessed with kombucha and decided to make a cocktail out of it. Duhhh. That’s how it always goes, right? Well, when it came to making my Blood Orange Kombucha Mojito, that’s exactly how it went. Luckily, the flavors that I wanted to pull together, paired perfectly. This cocktail will definitely be served at our tailgating party this year. I can’t wait to see everyone’s face when they taste how light and delicious this mojito truly is.
Since we are now officially into Blood Orange season, I’ve been trying to use them every chance I get. During this time of year if a recipe calls for citrus, I’m 9 times out of 10 going to reach for a blood orange. They provide a ton of juice and just the right amount of sweetness. And who can deny the gorgeous red and pink hues that they provide? So for me, it was a no-brainer to use blood oranges for this cocktail.
Just cut the orange in half along the width of the orange. You can slice them into wedges, but that will take just a little more time to squeeze out the juice.
Tips for perfection
- When making this drink, it’s important to use crushed ice.
- If you don’t have rum, tequila works just fine.
- If you’re able to make your sugar a little finer before using, please do. It will dissolve much better.
- It’s very important so muddle the ice, sugar, and mint leaves first. Then add the rum. Then splash with the kombucha last.
- Speaking of kombucha, this recipe calls for original. However, I encourage you to try different flavors. I’ve tried this cocktail with blueberry basil kombucha, and it was AMAZING!
Juice of 2 Blood Oranges
12oz – 16oz Kombocha
3 large Mint Leaves
In a large shaker muddle ice, 2 mint leaves, and sugar
Add rum to the shaker and continue to muddle a few more times
Pour all contents in shaker, into a 16oz sugar rimmed glass
Top with kombucha and garnish with mint
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also enjoy my Italian Grappa Espresso Martini