Dominica, the nature island, is a slice of heaven tucked away in the Caribbean. It’s the perfect place for those seeking to escape the hustle and bustle of life and take a much-needed break from the ordinary. And what better way to indulge in a little luxury than by staying at the #1 resort in the Caribbean – Secret Bay.
This travel and lifestyle content is brought to you in partnership with Secret Bay Thank you for supporting the brands that support RosalynnDaniels.com
Why did I choose Secret Bay?
I must admit that I’m the person who loves to experience something that many others can’t say they have experienced. So, I knew that for Harvey’s 40th birthday, I wanted to take him somewhere that I hadn’t heard a lot of people speak of. After researching a ton of destinations, I chose to go with Dominica. Once I started researching the island, I had a hard time finding luxury accommodations that met our standards. Well, that was until my nosey behind was reading comments for other places on Trip Advisor. I came across a guy who mentioned his experience at Secret Bay and it made me immediately go into search mode. When I found it, I was blown away by what their website showed. I knew instantly that I had found the perfect place. The rest was history!
Now, let’s talk about the real reason we’re here: Secret Bay Resort. This place brings luxury to a whole new level – an extraordinary level that equals six stars! Yes, that’s right. You heard me, six stars! I had to do a double-take when I heard about it for the first time. I mean, who knew such a thing existed? Well, now you know, and you’re welcome.
The villas are a sight to behold. Each guest gets to indulge in their own private, two-story, two-bathroom, eco-friendly villa that comes with a plunge pool. Yes, you read that right – a plunge pool. If that doesn’t scream opulence, I don’t know what does. The best part? Each villa comes with a dedicated concierge. And I don’t mean some random person who knows a little about the resort. I mean a dedicated, attentive professional whose sole purpose is to cater to your every whim. We were so grateful for Keldon, our villa concierge. From preparing your breakfast to ensuring your villa stays pristine, she was at our service whenever we needed.
Now, let’s talk amenities. The property is adorned with offerings that make it hard to want to leave. The pool bar is not only a great place to relax and soak up some sun but also serves some of the most refreshing cocktails and food that we’ve ever tasted. And for those looking for a little exercise, couples yoga in the tree tops is a must-try. It’s the perfect way to unwind and reconnect with your partner amidst the most calming and beautiful surroundings.
What I loved most about Secret Bay were the attentiveness and kindness of the staff. You know that I have never met a stranger, so I talk to everyone. I love that the locals were just as open and friendly. By the time we departed, we felt like we made friends. I can’t speak highly enough of everyone.
I was also blow away by the eco-friendliness of it all. Secret Bay uses sustainable practices, including solar energy panels on the villas and organic produce in their restaurant. It’s refreshing to see a resort that prioritizes the preservation of the environment.
Now for the best part, let’s talk about Harveys’s birthday celebration, shall we? The day kicked off with an authentic Dominican breakfast that was simply out of this world. We’re talking all the classics like salt fish, boiled eggs, and fresh fruit. But the real show stoppers were the “bakes” (also known as Johnnycakes) and fresh juices – a true feast for the senses!
After breakfast, Harvey was treated to some “me” time at the spa. And when I say treated, I mean TREATED. He opted for the 4-hand massage and let me tell you, it was worth every penny.
Fast forward to the grand finale of the evening – the bonfire dinner on the beach. I don’t even know where to begin with this one. The Secret Bay team pulled out all the stops and crafted a meal that dreams are made of. Lobster, steak, pork belly, seafood – you name it, they had it. And let’s not forget about the lavish desserts that topped off the night perfectly. Plus, the sound of the ocean and the dulcet tones of a little jazz served as the perfect background ambiance. As if that wasn’t enough, one of the staff members even serenaded our group with a stunning performance of Stand by Me. Goosebumps.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a luxurious, eco-friendly escape in the Caribbean, look no further than Secret Bay Resort in Dominica. Get there before the airport expansion hits in 2025 and the crowds arrive, and experience what is truly a hidden gem in the Caribbean. And when you go, please tell them that Rosalynn Daniels sent you!
How to book at Secret Bay Resort in Dominica?
To book at Secret Bay, you simply tap on the Book Now button or you want to fill out their inquiry form. They will contact you with their rates and availability and they’ll let you know what their current specials are. They have a lot of different options available on their site, which can be a little overwhelming. Here are some the things that I learned from my experience:
- We stay in Hillside Ti-Fèy Villa I
- All of the 1 bedroom villas have the same interior layout. Prices depend on your view. I splurged on an unobstructed view for Harvey’s birthday. But after visiting our friends villas, I would have been ok paying a little less for their tropic view. One of the couples was still able to get a glimpse of the ocean from their villa.
- All of the villas have a private plunge pool. The pools are pretty big and about 4ft deep.
- All of the villas come with top of the line full kitchen appliances, including a large refrigerator, dishwasher, washer/dryer combo, espresso machine, and everything that you would have in your own kitchen. Plates, glasses, cocktail shaker, etc.
- All of the villas come with an assigned Villa Concierge who will be there to help with anything in your villa, including keeping it tidy, cool, and comfortable for you.
- All villas come with a Breakfast Basket that is filled with fresh fruit, eggs, granola, and bread. This is at no additional cost.
- Prior to your arrival, they will send you a list of food and a price list to choose from that they will stock in your kitchen. Your Villa Concierge will cook any of this food for you at no additional cost. For instance we asked Keldon to make us omelettes with the free eggs from the breakfast basket, but we also asked her to cook the bacon and sausage that we ordered from the list. If you don’t use the food, they will take all unopened items off of your bill.
- Natalia is the head of the concierge team. She and her team can assist in planning out your whole trip. Keep in mind that SB offers a lot of complimentary activities and amenities. This allowed for our schedule to be full. We took advantage of the free amenities and splurged on at least one additional a day.
- Natalia can arrange for transportation to anywhere on the island for a minimal additional cost. We took advantage of this service and asked the driver to also show us his favorite local spots.