Vanilla Bourbon Cranberry Sauce
- 12oz Cranberries
- 1/2c Water
- 1/2c Orange Juice
- 1 3/4c Sugar
- 1/2c Bourbon
- 1 Orange
- 2-4 Vanilla Bean or 1tbs Vanilla Extract
- Bring water, orange juice, sugar, and bourbon to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Gently pour vanilla and cranberries to the pot.
- Add orange zest as well. Here you can control how much of a citrus flavor you will have by controlling the amount of zest you add to the pot.
- Cook on medium for 15 minutes.
- You will hear the cranberries pop. (This will be music to your ears).
- Bring temperature back down to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until the sauce is at your desired thickness. (REMEMBER: This sauce will not be thick like the canned sauce)
- Chill in the refrigerator until the sauce sets.
- I like to chill it for 12-24 hours, so make the day before if you want it to be stiffer.
- Replace 1/2c of bourbon with water if you do not prefer alcohol.
- Don't be afraid to simmer the sauce until it is thick.
- Remember that the sauce will have a lot of liquid at first, once you put it in the fridge it will firm up about 40%
- Serve straight from the refrigerator to the table for best results.